Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Is Radio on the Decline?

Recently, I have been questioning the future use of radio. As I cleaned this afternoon, I put together my arguments as to why radio should be here for at least three more decades. Keep in mind, I am a novice at this. Especially with radio.

First of all, I wanted to cover the argument that radio isn't digital. Which is true for most stations but as television has changed, so has radio. More and more stations are moving towards are more "digital" radio rather than the conventional radio we have lived with since the 30s.

Next, as I have been seeing; more and more companies have been making products that interact with the radio in some sort of way. For example, the 5th generation iPod Nano now has the ability to fast-forward and rewind with radio. And more and more generic mp3 players (such as the Sansa Clip) actually have the ability to record the radio.

And finally, the use of car radios to listen to your mp3 player, ipod, or phone (by use of a radio transmitter) have been on the rise in the last three years.

Radio has a promising future.

1 comment:

  1. What we need is a reboot of modern radio to reflect "Old Time Radio"(see wikipedia on this). Being an OTR buff, I cant attest to the fact that radio does have much potential left. All we need to do is kill off the Top 40 stations who play the same song 40 times a day.

    ReplyDelete